Saturday, July 18, 2009


Florence is a typical college town and kinda boring, good shopping though. 


We woke up and washed clothes. Well Andrea did in the bathtub and we hung them to dry on our terrace. Then we went to breakfast.


This blog is going to be very boring by the way.


So we walk to our bikes (luckily I didn't almost kill myself today) and then head to Uffizi. Let me say it was a waste of time and money. Took about 30 minutes to go through and there was nothing fascinating in there except Battocelli's "Venus" the original one. Which was pretty cool.


So we leave pretty disappointed and decide to go shop or take pictures or something being that our next reservation wasn't for like 3 hours.  So we walk to Piazza della Signoria because they had cool casts of some pretty famous statues and we took pictures. Some shirtless guy started posing in front of them, that was pretty funny. Also me and Andrea took pictures covering up David's bareness, some people got a kick out of that. A cute kid was running around chasing pigeons and the wind was blowing. Good thing I didn't wear a skirt, see what I mean? BORING


We walk to H&M and shop. They were having a HUGE saldi (sale in Italian). Got a cute skirt and shirt for 17 euro, alright. Then we decide to go get gelato, then head to the Accademia.  By the way, girls if you're wearing a slightly see through dress.. please wear a slip. I saw more than one person's undies today and a lot of european mullets.  


There's this fun market by our hotel so we go to it and look around, we got harassed.


Me, looking at some Louis purses not really interested in buying anything

Guy: "Good louis purse, 99 euro"

Me: "Eh that's too much, sorry."

Guy: "How much you give me?"

Me: "How much will you take?"

Guy: "Come with me"

He leads me into a small alley way

Guy: "75 euro"

Me: "Okay well you see, I only have 50 euro to last the next two days and I really can't buy anything."

Guy: "It's a good purse!" (shows me the inside)

Me: "I see that but I have to eat."

Guy: "50 euro? okay." (as he starts packing the purse)

Me: "Wait wait wait, I can't give you 50 euro. I HAVE to eat."

Guy: "How much you give me?"

Me: "I can give you 20."

Guy: shakes his head and walks away


It was a little more detailed in that, I think I offended him.


Another guy tries to sell us a crappy purse for "2 euro" we shake our heads and walk away, he yells "Vait vait vait" We had a good laugh about this.


We head to the Accademia and finally get there. It was small, but a FANTASTIC museum. We saw the original of "Rape of the Sabine Woman" and "David" both incredible, we studied it from every angle and just wished we could take pictures. 

 


They had a musical instrument museum which was incredible, I actually knew something about it. Yay for music appreciation.


All over the museum there were Robert Mapplethorpe photographs which were incredible! We went into his room and there was even some sketches from Michealangelo's sketch book AND an original Andy Warhol screen print of the Electric Chair. I was in awh, and very excited. Apparently Mapplethorpe and Warhol were friends, one of Mapplethorpe's photos was a portrait of Andy. It was awesome.


After the Accademia, we went to get some food. Crazy. I'm bored and tired and can't wait to come home. I only have 287 dollars left on my card, money goes quick here. But everything is paid for, so that's me money.


I've gotten a tan while I've been here and we've been mistaken for italian a few times haha


I miss everyone


Gabby

1 comment:

  1. Me: "I see that but I have to eat."

    Lmao. These people are seriously into selling you stuff. And I thought Best Buy was a little annoying.

    That museum does sound amazing.

    ReplyDelete